We still love the Word Templates in GP 2010. The main issue, however, was that not all reports were available as a template. Users spoke, and the developers listened! With GP 2010 R2, a new tool called the MS Word Template Generator is available. Any report available in Report Writer can now be processed through the Word Template Generator. Here are the basic steps:
1) Report Writer generates a data file (an XML file)
2) The Word Template Generator creates a template based on the data file
3) The template is imported into GP and can be edited as necessary (there’s an add-in for WORD that allows you to view and select GP fields).
4) When you print the report, choose Template instead of Standard
A few of the benefits of Word Templates:
1) Users are able to re-format templates in a familiar environment (Word)
2) Templates can be assigned to specific customers
3) No more multiple reports dictionaries for multiple companies! Reports can be assigned to specific companies.
GP2010 R2 has new email capabilities, as well. Any report window that has a Print button now also has an Email button. Users can generate a custom message, add data fields from the transaction window, and send! The report is static, in an HTM format, and can be viewed using a web browser by GP users and non-users.
Thinking about moving ahead to GP2010 R2? Gilchrist Scott is offering discounted rates for upgrades scheduled in August. Contact us soon to talk about upgrading. (207) 761-2133.